Knee joint problems are an extremely painful process. It can be so painful that it prevents patients from walking or even sleeping. Therefore, they are diseases that require treatment. It often requires treatments that result in knee replacement. For this reason, you can get detailed information about knee prostheses by reading our content.
What Is Knee Replacement?
The knee joint is the joint that allows us to do many of our daily routines such as running, walking and driving. However, in some cases, these joints can be damaged. In such cases, treatment is sometimes only possible with surgery. Otherwise, patients may not be able to perform many of their routine tasks. This requires knee prostheses. The knee that causes the patient to feel pain is surgically reconstructed. Thus, the problem area is removed and a kind of prosthesis is placed in its place. This allows the patient to move freely.
Risks of Knee Replacement Surgery
As in any surgery, there are of course some risks in knee replacement Surgery. However, the probability of these risks being seen is very low. Knee prostheses that you will receive from successful surgeons will be trouble-free most of the time. However, the risks that can be experienced if you make the wrong choice include the following;
- Blood clots in a leg vein or lungs
- Heart attack
- Nerve damage
The most common risk among these is infection. Although this is normal at first, it should pass over time. Otherwise, an infected knee replacement surgery often requires surgery to remove the artificial parts and antibiotics to kill the bacteria. After the infection clears, another surgery is done to place a new knee.
Advantages of Knee Replacement Surgery
Knee prostheses are very important treatments. It is to ensure that patients can move comfortably both for the short term and for the long term. Even 15 years after the operation, the patient will continue to move quite comfortably. On the other hand, the patient will feel quite relieved as the pain will be completely gone.
Why Is Knee Prosthesis Needed?
Knee replacement surgery is usually required when the knee joint is worn or damaged, and you have reduced mobility and pain even at rest. The most common reason for knee replacement surgery is osteoarthritis. Other health conditions that cause knee damage include:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Disorders that cause unusual bone growth
- Death of bone in the knee joint following blood supply problems
- Knee injury
- Knee deformity with pain and loss of cartilage
Preparation for Knee Replacement Surgery
You should remember that your surgery will limit you at first. At the same time, joint surgeries require some exercises before and after the operation. This is necessary for faster recovery. In other words, there will be some movements you need to do to prepare before the operation. This is important to prepare and strengthen the joint. It may be difficult for you to walk and move at home in the first days and weeks after surgery. Your body needs time to heal. That’s why it’s important to take some steps to prepare your home for post-knee replacement surgery.
Move trip hazards to prevent falls: Items such as children’s toys, electrical cords, and general clutter can get in your way and cause you to stumble or slip. So make sure your floor is clean. This is important when you first start standing up after surgery. Otherwise, your slip may cause you to fall. This may cause damage to your knee prosthesis, which has not yet fully healed.
Make a walkway around all furniture: Immediately after surgery, it is impossible to walk unassisted. Therefore, you can get support from your seats. Redesign your armpits prior to surgery for walking and, to practice, walk with support from your seats as you begin to stand up.
Put the items you will need in a place where you can reach them: Put your items at the bottom or top of the cabinets at a height where you can take them without bending or reaching. Thus, you will not have difficulty in reaching your belongings and your prostheses will not be damaged in the first days.
Arrange a single-level living space: If your house is not a single storey, you may consider staying nearby for a while. Using the stairs in your home at first can be extremely harmful.
Seek Help from Your Relatives: Immediately after the operation, you will not be able to meet all your needs on your own. Therefore, seek support from someone who can be with you during the recovery period and assist you.
During Knee Replacement Surgery
- The procedure often involves numbing the patient’s lower back only. Thus, the patient is awake during the procedure. But he will not feel his legs.
- A small cannula is placed in your hand or arm. This cannula is used to give you antibiotics and other medications during surgery.
- The knee is sterilized with a special solution.
- The doctor determines the knee incision sites by drawing with a pencil when the numbness begins.
- The process begins with the incisions made from the designated places.
- The bone is opened and cut with the help of surgical instruments.
- Implants are attached to the bones.
- The ligaments surrounding the knee need to be adjusted to ensure optimal knee function.
- First, temporary prostheses are applied to the cut bones.
- If the braces are compatible with the knee, the actual prostheses are attached.
- If the surgeon is satisfied with the fit and function of the implants, the incision is closed.
- A special tube (drain) is placed in the wound to remove natural fluids from the body. And the process is completed
Knee Replacement Surgery Healing Process
After the operation, you will be awakened within 2 hours and taken to the patient’s room. You should start doing some movements right after the surgery (within 5 hours at the most). It is important for increasing blood flow to your leg muscles and preventing swelling. It will also help prevent blood clots.
You will likely take anticoagulants to further protect against swelling and clotting. For this reason, the cannulas on your arm or on your hand will not be removed.
At the end of these exercises, your Physiotherapist will give you a paper describing the movements you need to do during your hospital stay after the surgery and when you return home.
Do your exercises regularly according to the instructions.
At the same time, there will be a wound care for both types, whether total or partial. You should keep cleaning and dressing your wounds frequently and use the wound care creams given by the doctor. Thus, after the operation, you can prevent the formation of infection.
Exercises After Knee Replacement Surgery
After knee replacement surgery, you will need to do some exercises so that you can use your prosthesis and strengthen your joints. However, although these exercises will already be given to you by your physical therapist, applying these exercises according to the following weeks will help you recover faster. At the same time, you should not forget. The more you exercise, the faster your recovery will be.
Week Exercises After Knee Replacement Surgery For 1. week
- Breathing exercise: Take a deep breath in through the nose and hold your breath for 2-3 seconds. Then exhale through your mouth. You can do this exercise at intervals throughout the day by taking deep breaths 10-12 times in total.
- Exercise for blood circulation: Move your ankles in circles back and forth and in both directions. Try to repeat each move at least 20 times. This move will help increase blood flow in your legs.
- Stretching exercise: You can sit or lie down with your leg straight. Pull your toes toward you by pushing your knee toward the bed and try to stretch your thigh muscles. After counting to 10, you can release your knee. Repeat this move 10 times.
- Straight leg raise exercise: You can sit or lie down with your leg straight. As in the previous exercise, stretch your thigh muscles and then raise your leg about 5 cm off the bed. Count to 10 and lower your leg. Repeat the movement 10 times.
- Static Hamstring Exercise: You can sit or lie down with your leg straight. Squeezing the muscles in the back of your thigh, pull your heel toward the bed and count to 10. Try to repeat the movement 10 times.
- Hip exercise: Contract your glutes and count to 10. Then relax your muscles. Repeat this move 10 times.
- Knee curl exercise: One of the exercises that should be done after knee replacement surgery is exercises that will provide knee flexibility. For this move, you can sit or lie flat with your back supported. Bend your knee towards you, then slowly lower it. If you find it difficult to do the exercise, you can use an auxiliary item such as a tray to help your feet slide more easily. Repeat this move 10 times.
Week Exercises After Knee Replacement Surgery For 2. Weeks
- Sitting knee curl exercise: Try to bend your operated leg as much as possible while sitting. Extend your other leg in front of your operated leg and press down slightly and try to bend your operated leg a little more. After waiting 2-3 seconds, bring your knee back to the normal position. Repeat the movement 10 times.
- Knee curl exercise with support: Sit on a chair and try to bend your knee as much as possible. If there is someone you can help, ask for support by placing their foot directly in front of you, or put your chair in front of the wall for support from the wall. Slightly slide yourself forward in the chair. This will allow your knee to bend more. Repeat the movement 10 times. this exercise
- Knee stretching exercise: Sit on a chair and extend your operated leg on a stool or chair. Gently press your knee down with your hand. You can do this slowly for 15-20 seconds or until you feel a strain on your knee. Repeat the movement 3 times.
Exercises After Knee Replacement Surgery For 3. Weeks
- Stair climbing exercise: first place your operated leg on the lower step. Get support from the railing, put your other foot on the step, trying to lightly shift your weight to your operated leg. Lower your good foot back to the ground. Repeat this move 10 times.
- Stair climbing exercise: Stand on the bottom rung, facing down the stairs. Try to lower your strong leg to the ground with support from the railing and lift it back up again. You can repeat the movement 10 times.
Best Orthopedic Doctors in Europe
Europe is a pretty broad word. Therefore, it can cover many countries. However, there are some criteria to find the best among them. For example, they must give First Class Treatment. After the treatment, it should provide Physiotherapy services and do all these at the best prices. For this reason, the number of countries that can meet all these at the same time is very few. For example, one of these countries is Turkey.
Turkey is a successful country that has made a name for itself in the field of health. At the same time, offering these treatments at affordable prices makes Turkey one of the best countries.
While it is difficult to look at other countries among those that offer good treatments;
Germany and Israel are leading. While these countries offer the highest quality treatments, most patients find it difficult or in some cases impossible to access them, given the prices. Therefore, they cannot cope as the best country. In this case, Turkey is at the forefront by providing treatments that are both extremely successful and at the most affordable prices.
In Which Country Can I Get the Best Orthopedic Treatment?
As mentioned above, although Germany, Israel and Turkey come first, it is possible to get the same quality treatments at the most affordable price in Turkey. Because Turkey is able to provide the treatment they give to foreign patients at the most affordable prices, thanks to the low cost of living and the high exchange rate. On the other hand, if the quality of treatment is examined, all these countries are successful countries that provide world-class treatment. However, Germany in particular has another problem.
Even if you have private health insurance for treatments, you cannot be a priority. So, if you need this surgery, you will be placed on a waiting list and will be able to have the surgery when it’s your turn. This means that the recovery period will take a long time, and Knee problems greatly affect the quality of life. Because the pain can be too much to bear and the patient can sometimes not sleep.
For this reason, they may want to get a knee replacement surgery as soon as possible. This requires him to know that it is impossible to get it in Germany. No matter how much your pain is or what private health insurance is covered, the next patients will be treated first and you will wait for your turn.
This means that you can gain another advantage in the treatments you will receive in Turkey. As a country with a developed healthcare system, patients can have surgery without being on a waiting list.
What Makes Turkey Different in Orthopedic Treatments?
Although Turkey has many features that make it different, its 2 most important features are advanced medical technology and affordable treatments.
Turkey performs knee replacement surgery with Robotic surgery technique, which is not used in most countries yet. This is very important for patients to recover faster and to avoid complications during the surgery.
Considering the risks mentioned above, having Knee replacement surgery with Robotic Surgery in Turkey will minimize all these risks. This is important for your treatments to be painless and for you to experience a full recovery.
The other factor is that affordable treatments are simply too good to be possible in other countries. For this, you can examine the price comparison between countries below.
As of 18.02.2022, the exchange rate in Turkey is extremely high (1€ = 15.48TL). On the other hand, it also includes meeting your accommodation needs during your treatment in Turkey at very affordable prices.
Finally, since Turkey is a developed country in the field of health tourism, there are many health tourism companies. If you prefer these companies, their prices will be more affordable and they will also offer package services to meet your accommodation, transportation and hospital needs in Turkey. This explains the many advantages of receiving treatment in Turkey.
Advantages of Knee Replacement in Turkey
- The biggest advantage it offers in Turkey is the cost. Even if you look at all other countries, you will not find such good prices in any country that offers the same quality of treatments as Turkey.
- Apart from surgeries, you will be able to meet your non-surgical needs at extremely affordable prices. The cost of living is cheap.
- Thanks to Turkey’s location, patients can recover from stress while having a comfortable holiday.
- Turkey is home to many orthopedic surgeons worldwide who received their medical education in countries such as the United Kingdom and the United States. This proves that you can get the best treatments.
- With well-equipped, state-of-the-art hospitals, the success rate of surgery increases immensely. This is important for the healing process to be painless and easy.
- Due to the increasing popularity of medical tourism in Turkey, many doctors and hospital staff speak English. Hospitals have multilingual patient coordinators to facilitate the stay of patients abroad.
- Turkey is located at the junction of Europe and Asia, which gives it a unique cultural identity. The juxtaposition of the ultra-modern and the ancient makes the country rich in architecture and history. If your situation allows, you can feast your eyes at Topkapi Palace, Basilica Cistern and Sultan Ahmet Mosque, take a stroll in the comfort of a traditional Turkish bath, and shop all the way to the magnificent Grand Bazaar. Thus, you can have a good vacation after the operation.
Knee Replacement Surgery Price in Turkey
In order to get a clear answer for prices, you must first be examined. The operations you need should be decided by the doctor. Therefore, prices will vary. However, if you still need average prices, it is possible to get a total knee replacement for 5000€ across Turkey. However, you can still contact us as Curebooking for detailed information. Thus, you can get the best prices for the most successful knee prostheses in Turkey. Our professional team will take care of your every need and provide your comfort during your stay in Turkey.
Knee Replacement Surgery Countries and Prices
|Countries||Price in Euro|