Sleeve Gastrectomy also known as gastric sleeve surgery is an operation that accelerates and helps weight loss in obesity patients. Obesity is accepted as the most dangerous and insidiously progressive disease of our age, with the number of patients increasing every year. Therefore, treatment is sometimes delayed and patients have to make great efforts to lose weight. Obesity is not a disease that can develop suddenly.
It occurs when patients gain weight gradually over time. While this period sometimes takes months, sometimes it can take years. For this reason, people who start to gain weight should plan to reach their ideal weight before it is too late. However, when it is late, they prefer many weight loss surgeries such as sleeve Gastrectomy surgery. You can continue reading our content to get more detailed information about Sleeve Gastrectomy treatment, which is one of the most preferred weight loss operations.
What is the Sleeve Gastrectomy?
Sleeve Gastrectomy or gastric sleeve treatments are operations performed for obesity patients to lose weight. Sleeve Gastrectomy treatments involve shrinking patients’ stomachs, thereby limiting their eating. In addition, the removal of the part that secretes the ghrelin hormone, which is located in the removed part of the stomach, makes the patients feel less hungry after the treatment. This allows patients to both eat less and be full with a small portion. In short, after the operation, patients make a diet with low-calorie food and lose weight over time.
Who Can Get a Sleeve Gastrectomy?
Sleeve Gastrectomy Surgery is suitable for obesity patients. However, of course, as in every surgery, there are some criteria that patients must comply with in sleeve gastrectomy treatments. These criteria appear as follows;
Patients should have a body mass index of 40 and above.
In cases where the body mass index of the patients is not over 40; Patients should have a body mass index of at least 35 and have serious health problems associated with obesity.
The age limit of the patients who comply with all these should be 18-65. Thus, the patients are suitable for treatment. However, a surgeon should be consulted for a clear answer. Some reverses that the surgeon will request will also give information about your general health status. Even if you are healthy and you can remove the surgery, you can be treated without any other problems.
How is Gastric Sleeve (Sleeve Gastrectomy) Surgery Performed?
First of all, vascular access will be opened for the operation. Then you will be taken to the operating room and you will be dressed in special clothes. You will then be anesthetized by air or intravenously. You won’t feel anything behind you.
The process proceeds open or closed. Open surgery will involve making a large incision in your abdomen, while closed (laparoscopic) surgery will involve making 5 small incisions of 5 mm in size. When everything is ready, your doctor will clean your abdomen and make an incision to make the cuts. Treatment usually continues with the laparoscopy technique. The only difference is the size of the incisions.
Accordingly, of course, the healing process will be shorter with this technique. After the incisions, a tube will be placed in your stomach. The boundaries of this tube will determine the new stomach, z,n boundaries. It is stapled all around so that your stomach is split in two, leaving little time to complete the process. Your punched area is divided into stomach. 80% of the stomach is removed and sutures are placed on the stomach. Then, the incisions made on your skin are also stitched and the process is completed.
How Does Sleeve Gastrectomy Surgery Work?
Sleeve Gastrectomy (gastric sleeve) is the process of reducing the stomach. If it is necessary to examine this closely and in more detail, let’s first look at why it is difficult to lose weight. Next, let’s examine how the operation makes it easy.
The first reason why it is difficult to lose weight is the enlargement of the stomachs of obesity patients with excessive food intake. Generally speaking, they have a larger stomach than a person of ideal weight. This causes them to reach a feeling of fullness with more portions.
On the other hand, like every person, obesity patients also have a part in their stomach that secretes hunger hormone. This part causes people to feel hungry. Along with this, of course, the appetite also increases. Now let’s look at how it helps to lose weight;
Since the part that secretes the ghrelin hormone, which is located in the most removed part of the stomach, is no longer in the body, patients feel less hungry. However, since 80% of their wide stomachs are removed, it will be easier and faster to reach the feeling of fullness.
In this case, it is possible to lose weight if the patients pay attention to their nutrition and do sports together.
Sleeve Gastrectomy Complications and Risks
Of course, sleeve gastrectomy surgery has some risks, as in any surgery. However, these risks or complications are not serious risks expected to be experienced in every patient. These are the risks that arise when some patients prefer an unsuccessful or inexperienced surgeon. Therefore, it is important that patients receive treatment from successful surgeons. Because sleeve gastrectomy surgery is not just a surgical treatment. After the surgery, you should continue to talk to your doctor and be in the process of losing weight together. Therefore, it is important that your doctor is experienced. Apart from this, some complications that may occur if you are treated by an inexperienced surgeon are as follows;
- Excessive bleeding
- Adverse reactions to anesthesia
- Blood clots
- Lung or breathing problems
- Leaks from the cut edge of the stomach
- Gastrointestinal obstruction
- Gastroesophageal reflux
- Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
How Much Weight Will I Lose After the Sleeve Gastrectomy?
Patients often ask this question when planning treatment. However, it would not be correct to make a definite comment about how much weight patients will lose after treatment. Because the effects of treatments will vary according to each patient. The reason for this is that patients’ metabolisms work differently. The results will be just as patients continue to eat after treatment, at the end of the recovery period.
If the patient continues with an excessive fat and sugar diet after the treatment and after the recovery period, of course, they should not expect to lose weight. However, patients who eat healthily and do sports in the presence of a dietitian can expect very successful results. To give an average result, if a healthy diet is followed after successful gastric sleeve surgery, patients can expect to lose 55% or more of their body weight.
Recovery After Sleeve Gastrectomy Surgery
After gastric sleeve surgery, you will continue the recovery process at home. Since it will be enough for you to stay in the hospital for 6 days after the operation, the medical team will take care of you while you are in the hospital. Therefore, you will not have to deal closely with your healing process. However, when you return home, you will be in complete control, so there will definitely be things to watch out for. Although the most important part after sleeve gastrectomy is nutrition, the following are also necessary;
- You should continue to use the prescribed medications and vitamin supplements regularly.
- Consult your doctor first for any physically strenuous activity. You may not be healthy enough for that yet.
- You shouldn’t lift heavy. It may cause damage to your stitches.
- After the operation, you should walk for a short distance at a slow pace. This will increase circulation and allow you to recover faster.
With this, losing weight can be stressful, especially at first. However, as the appetite mechanism and hormone balance are re-established in the following periods, it continues as a healthier process.
Learning ways to cope with stress during this period is also very important for mental health. For this, the person should consult units such as psychologist or psychiatry.
Nutrition After Sleeve Gastrectomy Surgery
After sleeve gastrectomy, patients will stay in the hospital for 6 days. For this reason, hospital staff will take care of their nutrition. Patients will only receive services. You should know that you should not drink even water for 1 day after the operation.
In the longer term;
- You should drink at least 2.5 liters of fluid during the first month. This liquid should be at least 1.5 liters of water. The remaining 1 liter should be ayran, meat or chicken stock.
The amount of food to be taken daily should be around 750 ml on average.
- In the first 3 months, in addition to consumption of milk, ayran and broth, you need to buy mashed foods. Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, carrots, spinach, artichokes, celery should be boiled with only water to be oil-free and calorie-free and should be mashed by passing through a blender. This is necessary so that you can digest the food more easily. Thus, your stomach will not have difficulty digesting the food and you will not feel discomfort. You should pay attention to the fact that the mashed foods contain plenty of vitamins such as protein, iron, potassium, vitamin A.
- Prepared purees should be consumed between meals. Moreover
Puree and liquid foods should not be eaten and drunk at the same time. Liquid consumption should be done approximately half an hour before or half an hour after the puree is eaten.
- After 3 months after the operation, the patient can gradually switch to normal food.
- Soups without flour, boiled red or white meat, grilled fish can be consumed. If it will be swallowed by chewing more than normal in the mouth, raw vegetables and fruits can also be consumed.
- It is a time-consuming process for the person to make the right choices in nutritional recommendations after sleeve gastrectomy surgery and to synthesize them with their own structure and to be fed in a healthier way.
- It should definitely be checked by frequently looking at the individual’s vitamin and mineral values. If the person notices any negative situation in his body, he should definitely come to the control by taking the situation seriously without wasting time. In this way, changing blood values can be intervened in the fastest way and the person is not allowed to be damaged.
- All carbohydrate-containing foods such as bread, pasta and rice should not be consumed. The reason for this is that the rapid absorption of such nutrients in the body should be avoided.
- It is more correct to consume foods in the form of steaming, baking and boiling while cooking. Otherwise, since the nutritional values can die, they cause empty calories in the person.
Sleeve Gastrectomy Surgery in Bulgaria
Bulgaria is not a country of choice for obesity treatments. For this reason, it would be better not to prefer it for sleeve gastretenomy. The low number of doctors, together with the failing health system, can cause unsuccessful results for patients who want to receive treatment in Bulgaria. In the hospitals in Bulgaria, there are not even some technological devices that you can often find in many countries. This is a situation that explains how unequipped hospitals are. Besides, considering the prices given for treatment in Bulgaria, patients often prefer different countries for treatment.
Successful Obesity Surgeons in Bulgaria
It is quite normal for you to look for a single successful surgeon, as you know that the hospitals in Bulgaria are under-equipped. But you should know. that the success of the surgeon you prefer is not unique in unequipped hospitals. Although it is right to get treatment from a successful surgeon, getting treatment in an unqualified hospital will not prevent you from benefiting from the experience and success of the doctor. For this reason, instead of receiving treatment in Bulgaria, you may prefer different countries like many patients.
Best Clinics for Bariatric Surgery in Bulgaria
Among the clinics and hospitals in Bulgaria, the bariatric surgery hospitals that provide better treatment than others are as follows;
Acibadem City Clinic Tokuda Hospital
Even if you are determined to get treatment in Bulgaria, you can choose this clinic as the best of the worst. Because this is the only clinic that is a bit more successful in Bulgaria than the others. You shouldn’t expect too much though. Because you should know that they will not meet your expectations. The number of doctors is less than it should be and their equipment is not sufficient.
Alexandrovska University Hospital
This is another frequently preferred hospital. However, as in the other hospitals, you should not increase your expectations for these hospitals. Because you can determine how successful the treatments will be. You should know that the prices are unfortunately high. Both hospitals demand that you pay thousands of euros for the treatments as if they are giving successful operations.
Which Country Is Best For Sleeve Gastrectomy ?
You know that Sleeve Gastrectomy operations are important. So in which countries can you get the best treatments?
Turkey ranks first among the best countries for Sleeve Gastrectomy . In addition to being a country that provides world-class treatments, it also uses advanced technologies in the field of medicine. It is a country that can provide the most successful treatments with devices that are not yet used in many countries.
At the same time, the biggest factor in being one of the best countries is the prices. The extremely low cost of living and the high exchange rate in Turkey ensure that foreign patients can receive treatments at extremely affordable prices. By continuing to read our content, you can examine the advantages of receiving treatment in Turkey.
Advantages of Sleeve Gastrectomy Turkey
- Why Do People Go to Turkey for Gastric Tube?
- Affordable prices in many countries in addition to high-quality medical technology
- World-renowned achievements of Turkish physicians
- Combination of tourism experience and healthcare for both patients and their families
- With the presence of Turkish spa and thermal centers, the opportunity to combine both vacation and treatment for both summer and winter
- No waiting list, available anytime for treatments
- Finding high-quality clinics and hospitals is easy with Curebooking
- Exceptional medical care in addition to special care for foreign patients
- Thanks to the fact that Turkey is an extremely famous holiday destination, it has well-equipped and comfortable luxury hotels and accommodation facilities.
- After Gastric Sleeve, a full scan will be made to your country before the period and if you are completely healthy, you will return to your country.
- You will receive support from a dietitian after gastric sleeve.
Sleeve Gastrectomy Price Turkey
Having Sleeve Gastrectomy Treatment in Turkey will be extremely economical. If you examine the market in general, you will see how low the Prices are. You can also save more if you choose us as Curebooking. With years of experience, we provide the best treatments at the best hospitals, at the most affordable prices!
As Curebooking, our Sleeve Gastrectomy prices are divided into 1,850 € treatment price and 2.300 € package price. While only treatment is included in the treatment price, Package prices include;
- 3 days staying hospital
- 3 Day Accommodation in a 5-star
- airport transfers
- PCR testing
- Nursing service
- Drug Treatment