What Is Gastric Sleeve ?
With gastric sleeve surgery, the majority of the stomach is surgically removed, its size is decreased by 75–80%, and the remaining stomach portion resembles a banana or tube. Due to their significantly smaller stomachs, patients are unable to consume and digest large amounts of food before feeling satisfied, which allows for quick weight loss. Since this kind of surgery cannot be undone, it should only be used as a last option.
Who Is Suitable For Gastric Sleeve?
If a person weighs 100 lbs. (50 kg) or more than their optimal weight and has a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or higher, they are said to be obese. Bariatric surgery is a possibility for these folks. Obesity carries a number of hazards that include those for hypertension, infertility, diabetes, sleep apnea, and many other conditions. If diet and exercise alone are ineffective, gastric sleeve surgery might be the only option.
Patients who want to undergo gastric sleeve therapy must be at least 18 years old and have a body mass index of at least 35.
What does a Gastric Sleeve Procedure Involve?
A laparoscope is used during surgery under general anesthesia. Several small incisions are made on the abdomen, and the laparoscope is then put through them to provide a clear view of the insides. Before beginning the procedure to surgically remove 75% to 80% of the stomach’s volume using specialized surgical instruments, the surgeon will view these photos. The stomach pouch that is still there now resembles a drastically smaller banana or sleeve. The instruments are all taken out, the incisions are repaired, and the wounds are bandaged.
How Long Should I Stay in Croatia for a Gastric Sleeve Procedure?
Inpatient gastric sleeve surgery takes place in the operating room and lasts for around one hour. You are then taken to a recovery room where your vital signs are kept track of. Following surgery, you must stay in the hospital for two to three days before being released once your condition is stabilized. For follow-up exams, you need remain in Croatia for at least 7-8 days. You are kept under observation throughout this time, and the stitches are removed after 5 to 7 days.
What’s the Recovery Time for Gastric Sleeve Procedures in Croatia?
Returning to regular meals will take two to three months, and you will consume significantly less food throughout this time. Your stomach will likely be swollen and painful for a few days; during this time, you may be provided medication to ease the pain. You can resume some regular activities after two to four weeks, but generally speaking, six weeks of recuperation are needed. Due to the laparoscopic nature of the procedure, recovery time is shortened, and the small scars that result in time gradually disappear.
What sort of Aftercare is Required for Gastric Sleeve Procedures in Croatia?
The following are some points to consider after leaving the hospital:
- Drink only fluids for the first two to three days. After that, you can start buying pureed foods and shakes. You will need to continue this for at least 4 weeks. After that, you can start eating solid food items. Do not eat very heavy foods. Avoid drinking water with meals as it fills your small stomach immediately.
- Follow a proper diet plan as you will need to meet your nutritional needs with smaller amounts of food.
- Take a multivitamin and mineral every day. Especially vitamin B12 should be avoided as pernicious anemia. Thus, you will get the vitamins that you cannot get from food.
- Do not climb stairs, do not bend over. Don’t do sports. Avoid activities that can put pressure on your abdomen. This is important so that you do not damage your stitches.
- Change your bandage regularly and don’t let it get wet as this can cause infection. Therefore, stay away from movements that will make you sweat.
- Make sure you have regular checkups and that your weight loss is recorded during these visits.
- Take your painkillers regularly to get relief from post-operative pain. Do not miss your other medicines
What’s the Success Rate of Gastric Sleeve Procedures in Croatia?
About 80% to 90% of gastric sleeve procedures are successful. After surgery, you should be able to reduce 60% of your excess weight within 12 to 18 months. In addition, a number of sizable clinical trials and studies have demonstrated that the procedure enhances or cures health issues linked to obesity, such as hypertension, type 2 diabetes, fatty liver disease, and sleep apnea.
Despite having a high success rate and being generally safe, gastric sleeve surgery still carries a risk of problems both during and after the treatment. Bleeding, blood clots, heartburn, weight gain, vitamin or nutrient deficiencies, and stenosis are a few of the major hazards associated with the operations.
Are there Other Alternative Bariatric Procedures?
- Gastric Band – A silicone device is fitted at the top of the stomach, cutting off the bottom region and forming a small stomach pouch above. It is thought to be a reversible bariatric surgery alternative. The patient now consumes considerably less food before feeling full, which causes rapid weight reduction. This is due to the lower stomach size. The band can be surgically removed after the goal weight is reached.
- Gastric Bypass – The stomach is split into two sections, a large lower “remnant” pouch and a small upper pouch. By rearranging the small intestine to avoid the big pouch, the stomach’s volume is greatly decreased.
- Gastric balloon – In this minimally invasive technique, an inflatable balloon-like device is inserted endoscopically into the stomach and inflated, therefore decreasing the stomach’s capacity. Since the balloon takes up the majority of the stomach’s space, the patient feels full considerably more quickly, which causes rapid weight loss. The balloon is deflated and removed once the appropriate weight has been reached.
Croatia Gastric Sleeve Prices
Gastric sleeve prices are highly variable. Therefore, it would not be correct to give a clear price. Because there will be price differences between Croatian hospitals and obesity centers. However, if you need to look at the best prices, you will be able to see a price of at least 7.500 €. In addition, you will need to get support from a dietitian after the treatment. The costs for this are also high. For this reason, most patients prefer to have gastric sleeve treatment in Turkey. You can also prefer Turkey to get treatment at more affordable prices.