What does the word ‘Obesity’ actually mean?
Obese term or word describes an overweight person that has too much body fat.
This is the best and the simplest definition of what obesity is that is emphasized by our best general practitioners in Kusadasi, a close town to Izmir airport.
In the UK, 1 in each 5 children that are 10 or over 10 years old, 1 in each 4 men and women face obesity.
How can you tell if you are an obese patient or not?
Body Mass Index (BMI) is a method used to decide if you are overweight or healthy weight. Depending on your height, BMI measures are used to decide your healthy weight. To calculate your weight you can use BMI calculators online. What does BMI score mean?
- Between 18.5 and 24.9 score means a person is a healthy weight.
- Between 25 and 29.9 score means a person is overweight.
- Between 30 and 39.9 score means a person is obese.
- Over 40 score means a person is morbidly obese.
Do not get confused, BMI does not diagnose obesity alone. Because people who are built don’t have fat but their BMI can be high. However BMI is a beneficial identifier for many people to tell if they are overweight or a healthy weight. For people that are overweight or moderately obese that have BMI between 25 and 29.9 or between 30 and 34.9, measuring waist size can also be a good identifier.
In general, 95 cm waist size in men and 81 cm waist size in women show that they are more likely to have obesity-related critical problems.
What risks of Obesity knock at your door?
In addition to its negative physical effects and difficulties, It can cause life-threatening and severe situations. These serious problems start with:
- Coronary Heart Disease (CHD)
- non-insulin-dependent-diabetes (type II diabetes)
- paralysis (stroke)
- Cancer types like intestinal cancer (bowel cancer) and breast cancer.
Additively, Obesity affects most people’s lives psychologically and negatively their life standards. Psychologically, it can cause lack of self confidence and depression.
What are the major reasons of Obesity?
What obesity is eating too much sugar and fat, consuming more calories than you need are the main and major causes of obesity. If you eat more calories than you need and do not burn this calorie by exercising, your body stores the excess calories as fat. In today’s world, it is very easy to reach fast and cheap food and we live in a hurry. People like spending more time in cafes, bars and restaurants without any physical activity. We are getting lazier at work by sitting at a desk, at home by sitting in front of a TV/Laptop, even in the street by driving our car everywhere. For this reason, obesite is spreading and causing health problems.
Why does sitting make us lazier and unhealthy?
Some genetic diseases like hypothyroidism can cause obesity easily. However these diseases can be controlled with medication and do not cause gaining weight unless they are triggered by lazy activities like sitting, eating fast and cheap food.
How to treat your obesity, what obesity definition is being fat
First of all, regular exercise and a healthy diet are very important for obesity treatment. Here are some clues for you to treat your obesity:
- Firstly, see a general practitioner in the best hospitals in Kusadasi and decide your healthy low calorie diet. (Changing your diet habit can be difficult but always remember you are doing this for your health and better life, be patient you will be rewarded in the end.
- try to avoid conditions that can cause you to eat more than you need like eating in a fast food restaurant or in your car.
- start exercising like walking at least 40 minutes everyday and other kinds of exercises that are available around you. If you have a swimming pool near you, go there or if you have a dog, go walking with it.
- Join a club and be with other people who have the same problem with you. You can support, encourage each other and share your feelings.
If you want, remember getting professional psychological help will help you to be more strong against eating.
Do not worry, if changing your life is not helpful alone, you can always get medical help. Your doctor may prescribe ‘orlistat’ a medicine. General practitioners decide which medicine will help you.
In some serious conditions, obese people are recommended weight loss operation
Other problems related to obesity that are emphasized by our general practitioners in Turkey. In the future, some other serious problems like having difficulty with your simple daily routine activities and having severe health problems can occur because of obesity.
Following health problems of obesity:
- escalated sweat
- not being able to do physical activities
- back and joint ache
- being asocial
- feeling exhausted
- lack of self confidence
Serious illnesses related to obesity that you might encounter
Obesity, its definition is being fat, can trigger other serious health conditions. Here are some of them:
- non-insulin-dependent-diabetes (type II diabetes)
- Arteriosclerosis and High cholesterol (These diseases cause paralysis (stroke) and Coronary Heart Disease.
- Complications of diabetes, metabolic syndrome.
- gastroesophageal reflux disease
- it reduces fertility
- nephropathy (kidney diseases) and hepatopathy (liver diseases)
- complications during pregnancy like preeclampsia and gestational diabetes.
- High Blood Pressure
- some types of cancer
From 3 to 10, life expectancy is reduced relating to how serious it is. Studies have shown that 1 in every 12 deaths in European Countries is caused by obesity.