Can I Get a Dental Treatment on NHS?

What are the Prices for Dental Treatments on NHS if I Get a Dental Treatment?

This page describes whether patients are qualified for free dental treatment through the NHS. The cost of dental care on the NHS is determined by the services you need to keep your mouth, teeth, and gums safe.

You will only be charged once for any full course of care, even though you need to see the dentist several times to complete it.

You should expect a second fee if you are referring to another dentist with a different type of treatment. Any mild treatments are given free of charge.

Band 1 medication costs on NHS £23.80.

Exams, diagnosis (including radiographs), guidance on how to avoid potential issues, scaling and polishing as professionally appropriate, and preventative treatment are all included (for example, applications of fluoride varnish or fissure sealant). Let’s take a look at them closely.

applying sealants or fluoride preparations to the surfaces of your teeth a health review, appraisal, and record minimal correction of fillings moulds of your teeth – for example, to see if your teeth bite together an orthodontic evaluation and report a scale and polish (if clinically necessary)

photographs of various colours

treating sensitive cementum by taking a sample of cells or tissue from your mouth for analysis (the tissue that covers the root of a tooth)

X-rays are a form of radiation.

Band 2 care costs on NHS £65.20.

This includes everything in Band 1 as well as some other surgery, such as fillings, root canals, even whether the dentist must extract one or more of your teeth.

This fee can be applied to any of the following:

  • a mouth guard to fix your “bite” (does not require a laboratory-made appliance) an enhancement to your dentures – such as attaching a clasp or a tooth apicoectomy – cutting the tip of the root of a tooth.
  • the fillings
  • When healthy tissue from the roof of your mouth is applied to your teeth where the root is exposed, it is called a free gingival graft.
  • Surgery to the folds of tissue that bind your tongue, lips, and cheeks to your jawbone is known as a frenectomy, frenoplasty, or frenotomy.
  • Root planing (cleaning bacteria from the roots of the teeth), deep scaling and polishing, or a gingivectomy are all treatments for serious gum disease (removal of gum tissue)
  • Pulpotomy is the removal of the dental pulp (the soft tissue at the centre of a tooth)
  • removing teeth and relining and rebasing dentures (extraction)
  • root canal therapy
  • Filling small holes or grooves in the teeth with sealant
  • splinting crooked teeth, such as in an injury (this does not include laboratory-made splints)
  • Teeth transplantation

Band 3 care costs on NHS £282.80.

This includes all listed in Bands 1 and 2, as well as crowns, dentures, bridges, and other lab work.

£23.80 for urgent dental care- Band 4 on NHS

This band covers emergency dental treatment in a primary care dental clinic, such as pain management or a temporary filling.

Who qualifies for free dental care on the NHS?

If you meet one or more of the above requirements before your service begins, you will be eligible for free NHS dental care.

If you are, you have the following rights:

Staying in an NHS hospital and your care is carried out by the hospital dentist an NHS hospital dental service outpatient – but you will have to pay for your dentures or bridges if you are under the age of 18 or 19 and in qualifying full-time school pregnant or have had a baby in the preceding 12 months staying in an NHS hospital and your treatment is carried out by the hospital dentist an NHS hospital dental service outpatient – but you may have to pay for your dentures or bridges.

If you or your spouse – even a civil partner – receives, or if you are under the age of 20 and a dependant of someone who receives:

monetary assistance

ESA (Employment and Support Allowance) based on income

Jobseeker’s Allowance is dependent on your income.

Credit Guarantee for Pensioners

If you are eligible for Universal Credit and follow the requirements.

Are Pregnant women exempt from dental charges on the NHS?

Pregnant women and women who have recently given birth are eligible for free NHS dental care. A maternity exemption certificate (MatEx), a maternity certificate (MATB1), or your baby’s birth certificate may be required.

You would not be eligible for free NHS dental care if you gave birth more than 12 months ago. Only NHS prescriptions are exempted under the MatEx.

What are the Prices for Dental Treatments on NHS if I Get a Dental Treatment?

What if I need further treatment on the NHS?

You should not have to pay anything extra if you need further care from the same or lower charge band within two calendar months of finishing a course of treatment, such as another filling.

You would have to pay for the current NHS course of care if the extra treatment needed is in a higher band. However, after two months have elapsed after the end of a course of service, you will be required to pay the NHS fee band on every NHS dental care you have got.

Certain treatments (including missing items) are covered by a 12-month warranty from the date of completion.

There are the following:

Fillings, root fillings, inlays, porcelain veneers, and crowns are some of the most common dental procedures for free on NHS. Treatments given under this assurance must be comparable to or related to the initial procedure, but not identical.

A referral to a certain dentist

The price you spend if you are sent to another dentist to finish your appointment is determined by the method of referral and whether the NHS treatment is completed as a single course of care. The amount you would pay will be determined by your dentist.

If you are recommended to a private dentist (and you want to go that route), you will have to pay. You must pay the required NHS banding payment to the dentist who referred you, as well as a bill for the dental work done by the private dentist to whom you were referred.

How can I get a refund on the NHS?

On the NHS, you cannot get a refund for the cost of private dental care or other things such as toothbrushes. You will only get a rebate for payments that were part of your NHS care if you have both NHS and private treatment.

Request an NHS receipt form FP64 from your dentist, or a receipt that indicates the overall NHS bill and the date you pay. You will still need the HC5 (D) refund claim form for dental charges (PDF, 59kb) to clarify why you are requesting a refund on NHS.

Include the original receipt, as well as your full name and the dentist’s address, and mail it to the address mentioned on the form.

If you have a low salary and are having trouble paying the bill, you might be eligible for the NHS Low Income Scheme. You may register for the Low-Income Scheme and request a rebate at the same time. Refund requests must be made within three months of the payment date.